Grant Policy, Guidelines & Application
In keeping with policy established by Mr. Beazley, the Beazley Foundation awards grants only to organizations tax exempt pursuant to Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and engaged in educational, charitable and religious (parochial schools) activities. The Beazley Foundation is a private Foundation that neither solicits nor accepts any funding from other sources.
Although no predetermined allocations govern the mission, Foundation grants are inclined to funding educational initiatives. Geographically, although awards historically favored projects within the City of Portsmouth, the Foundation today funds non-profits throughout South Hampton Roads, and, on occasion, beyond. All grants are subject to the approval of the Board of Trustees in the exercise of its sole and absolute discretion.
The Foundation does not support:
1. Conferences, symposia, publications, media, public information or like projects.
2. International programs, institutions or similar organizations.
3. National programs, institutions or like undertakings.
4.Environmental projects and programs, with infrequent exceptions for compelling, highly credible programs, focused, sustained and dedicated solely to educational purposes, as determined by the Board.
5. The arts, with infrequent exceptions for compelling, highly credible programs, focused, sustained and dedicated solely to educational purposes, as determined by the Board.
6. The general operational, capital or other needs of individual churches or other specific religious institutions.
7. Generally, the Foundation currently does not entertain grant requests from non-profits lacking a prior funding relationship with the Foundation. However, the Board reserves the right to depart from such policy in the exercise of its sole and absolute discretion.
The Board reserves the right to depart from Foundation grantmaking policy in the exercise of its sole discretion, consistent with applicable law.
No grant proposal will be considered, absent prior consultation with the President of the Foundation or his or her designee.
Grant Application Deadlines
January 1, 2024
April 1, 2024
July 1, 2024
October 1, 2024
Please note: All dates are subject to change at the discretion of the Trustees.
If the deadline date falls on a weekend or holiday, grant requests are due the prior working day. Due to such interruptions, all applicants should telephone the Foundation office to confirm.
ALL GRANT PROPOSALS MUST BE DISCUSSED WITH THE PRESIDENT OF THE FOUNDATION OR HIS OR HER DESIGNEE PRIOR TO SUBMISSION.
The Foundation does not make grants to individuals, and the focus of support is within the cities of South Hampton Roads.
The Board of Trustees customarily meets in February, April, August and November to consider grant requests. Proposals must be submitted to the Beazley Foundation office, 3720 Brighton Street, Portsmouth, Virginia, 23707.
Applications not conforming to the requirements will not be considered by the Foundation.